a free valuation

Sinclair Hammelton provides a range of Lettings and Management services which can be tailored to suit your specific requirements, whether you are a private home owner, an investment landlord or a corporate property company. We are registered with, and abide by, the Property Ombudsman Letting Code of Practice

The Property

When preparing a rental property do remember that a good first impression is vital if the maximum rental is to be achieved. We recommend that the property is in good decorative order, clean and tidy and that any necessary repairs have already been carried out. After all it follows that the better the condition of the property is in, the better the quality of tenant it is likely to attract!


It is important to set your desired rental price fairly but realistically in order to attract the most suitable tenant. We will provide you with information regarding the current market conditions and will, wherever possible, base our advice on similar properties in a similar location.

The rental figure given by us will represent current market conditions. We should be able to support any figure given, and, wherever possible, it will be based on comparisons with similar properties in a similar location.

Energy Performance Certificates

Since 1st October 2008, Landlords have been legally required to provide copies of an Energy Performance Certificate to potential tenants. An EPC tells a landlord and prospective tenants how energy efficient a rental property is on a scale of A-G, with A being the most efficient. The EPC certificate also indicates, on a scale of A-G, about the impact the property has on the environment. If landlords fail to obtain an EPC before they market a rental property they may be liable for a fine and must withdraw the property from market until they have obtained one.

Fire Safety

All furniture and furnishing need to meet strict criteria laid out in the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations1988 (amended 1989 and 1993). Under these regulations all upholstered items, including beds and sofas, must have fire resistant filling and have passed a match resistance test. As a general rule items bought before 1988 may need to be replaced. The regulations apply to pillows, beds, sofas, armchairs and nursery furniture but not antique furniture or furniture made before 1950, duvets, curtains and carpets.

Gas Safety

Landlords are also required to ensure that any gas boilers and other equipment are serviced once a year. A landlord is also legally required to provide a tenant with an annual gas safety certificate. The service must by carried out by a contractor registered with Gas Safe previously known as CORGI. The relevant law is The Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998.

Electrical Safety

The electrical wiring in the home must also be safe and in good working order and smoke alarms should be fitted and work properly. Wiring that is more than 15 years old needs to be inspected annually. The relevant law regarding electrical safety for landlords is The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 and Smoke Detectors Act 1991.

Buildings & contents insurance

A number of insurance firms offer landlord specific insurance packages to cover against a range of unexpected problems. It is the landlord's responsibility to arrange building insurance and to insure the furnishings of the home that are included on the inventory. It is the tenants' responsibility to have contents insurance to protect their belongings and furniture.
Types of Landlord Insurance

  • Buildings insurance to cover the rebuilding or major repairs to a home
  • Contents insurance to cover items on the inventory
  • Liability insurance to cover issues such as personal injury claims by tenants
  • Loss of rent insurance to cover any damage or building work, which makes your property un-rentable for a period of time
  • Sinclair Hammelton Rent & Legal Warranty (available in conjunction with our Fully Managed service)
  • covers you for loss of rent but will also provide legal cover to assist in the eviction of the tenant.

Before you can let your property, you should also contact your Mortgage Lender to advise that you will be renting your property and also your Freeholder (if applicable).